After having to cancel our ISSDP Mexico conference -twice- as well as the 2021 Morocco conference, we are pleased to report that we will be holding an in-person meeting this coming year, building on the Lisbon Addictions Conference, which takes place Nov 23-25, 2022 in Lisbon Portugal. ISSDP will be holding a one-day conference on Tuesday Nov 22, 2022, preceding the main Lisbon Addictions conference. It will be held at the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction. Our one-day conference will be focused on a range of topics not fully considered during Lisbon Addictions, as we hope our members will also consider submitting abstracts to the main Lisbon Addictions conference. ISSDP is once again co-hosting a thematic track at Lisbon Addictions, emphasizing work related to “Current and future challenges in global drug policy”.
The Lisbon Addiction call for abstracts is already open and can be accessed here:
Deadline for submissions to the main conference closes Jan 31, 2022.
The call for abstracts for the ISSDP one-day side event will open in January, but seeks to augment topics the Lisbon Addiction conference by focusing on topics not fully addressed within their conference, including:
- Natural experiments, RCTs and other innovative methods for evaluating new drug policy changes
- Supply side strategies for cutting synthetic opioids and addressing the overdose crisis
- Decolonising drug policy and drug policy’s impacts on marginalized communities and/or populations
If you are interested/willing to serve on the scientific review committee for the one-day conference, please contact Rosalie (email@example.com).
Other important items:
- Alison Ritter’s new book Drug Policy published by Taylor&Francis Group was just recently released. ISSDP will kick off its 2022 Webinar series with a “Meet the Author” webinar taking place Friday, January 28 at 9 am AEDT (UTC + 11). We are in the process of planning out other monthly webinars currently, so if you have any topics/ideas you’d like to propose or new research you want to share, please contact Rosalie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you curious about what happens at the annual U.N. Commission on Narcotic Drugs meeting? Want to know how you might get involved in future meetings? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, stay on the looking for our February 2022 Webinar, which will include a panel of ISSDP members who regularly attend and engage at the conference. Find out how you can become involved!
- IJDP has put out a call for Expression of Interest in the role of Associate Editor. Applications are due January 31, 2022.
- The Society for the Study of Addiction (SSA) has started a new monthly podcast entitled “Addictions Edited”, featuring people working in addiction policy, research and treatment settings, including former ISSDP President, Alison Ritter. If you are interested in hearing more, please go to: New SSA podcast: episode 1 with Oliver Standing – SSA (addiction-ssa.org).
- Be on the lookout for an announcement for an upcoming virtual annual membership meeting in late January. It is a requirement of our charter to have a membership meeting every 18 months, and our last meeting was Sept 1, 2020.
The ISSDP leadership team wishes all of you a very happy holiday season and good health for the New Year!
Rosalie Liccardo Pacula
President of ISSDP