The International Society for the Study of Drug Policy (ISSDP) is a society of scholars committed to advancing drug policy research. The ISSDP’s objectives are to:
- Be a forum for high quality drug policy analysis.
- Develop relations among drug policy analysts and thus strengthen the field.
- Develop the scientific base for policy decisions.
- Improve the interface between researchers and policy makers.
We achieve this through our annual scholarly international conference. This event brings together many of the best known academics in the drug policy field with decision makers and policy-makers. (Details of past conferences are summarised here).
The ISSDP also supports emerging drug policy scholars, through scholarships to attend the annual scientific conference. Scholarships are available for doctoral students and scholars from developing countries and are advertised in the call for papers for each conference.
ISSDP also supports research through the availability of an online bibliography of grey literature relevant to drug policy.
The ISSDP is a membership organisation and we welcome new members. For more information go to the Membership page.
Meetings instigated by the Beckley Foundation in 2004 and 2005, and the inaugural ISSDP conference held in Oslo in 2007, led to the formal establishment of ISSDP as a registered UK charity in 2009. The founding President was Prof Peter Reuter.
Rosalie Liccardo Pacula
(Co-Director of RAND Opioid Policy Tools and Information Center, USA)
(Associate Professor in Criminology and Drug Policy, Centre for Crime Policy and Research, Flinders University, Australia)
The other Trustees are:
Kawal Deep Kour
(Director of the South Asia Drug and Alcohol Research Foundation, India)
(Ghent University, Belgium)
(RAND Drug Policy Research Center, USA)
(Senior Research Fellow and Scientia Fellow at the Centre for Social Research in Health, UNSW Australia)
(Universidad Catolica del Uruguay)
(European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction [EMCDDA])
(Professor in Criminal Justice at University of Kent, UK)
Immediate past President
(Manchester Metropolitan University, UK)
(Professor of Criminology at the University of Maryland, USA)
Founding President and ex-officio Board attendant
- Peter Reuter (2007-2008)
- Alison Ritter (2008-2015)
- Alex Stevens (2016-2019)
Previous Board Members
- Henri Bergeron (2007-2011)
- David Bewley-Taylor (Secretary, 2006-2007)
- Sandeep Chawla (2008-2011)
- Michael Farrell (2006)
- Christine Godfrey (2007-2008)
- Keith Humphreys (2007-2008)
- Charlie Lloyd (Secretary 2011-2015)
- Daniel Mejía (2011-2013)
- Mark Monaghan (Secretary 2015-2018)
- Börje Olsson (2009-2013)
- Letizia Paoli (Vice President, 2011-2015)
- Alison Ritter (2006-2019, President 2008-2015)
- Pia Rosenqvist (2006-2011)
- Tomáš Zábranský (2009-2013)