The International Society for the Study of Drug Policy (ISSDP) is a society of scholars committed to advancing drug policy research. The ISSDP’s objectives are to:
- Be a forum for high quality drug policy analysis.
- Develop relations among drug policy analysts and thus strengthen the field.
- Develop the scientific base for policy decisions.
- Improve the interface between researchers and policy makers.
We achieve this through our annual scholarly international conference. This event bring together many of the best known academics in the drug policy field with decision makers and policy-makers. (See links… Details of past conferences are summarised below).
The ISSDP also supports emerging drug policy scholars, through scholarships to attend the annual scientific conference. Scholarships are available for doctoral students and scholars from developing countries and are advertised in the call for papers for each conference.
ISSDP also supports research through the availability of an online bibliography of grey literature relevant to drug policy.
The ISSDP is a membership organisation and we welcome new members. For more information go to the Membership page.
Meetings instigated by the Beckley Foundation in 2004 and 2005, and the inaugural ISSDP conference held in Oslo in 2007, led to the formal establishment of ISSDP as a registered UK charity in 2009. The founding President was Prof Peter Reuter.
Alex Stevens (Professor in Criminal Justice at University of Kent, UK).
Rosalie Liccardo Pacula (Co-director of RAND Drug Policy Research Center, USA).
The other Trustees are:
- Tom Decorte (Professor of Criminology and Coordinator of the Institute for Social Drug Research, University of Ghent, Belgium).
- Beau Kilmer (Senior Policy Researcher and Co-director of the Drug Policy Research Centre at the RAND Corporation, Santa Monica).
- Alison Ritter (Professor, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, Australia)
- Nicola Singleton (European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction [EMCDDA])
- Tomáš Zábranský (Centre for Addictology of the Psychiatric Clinic of the 1st Faculty of Medicine and the General University Hospital of Charles University, Czech Republic).
Mark Monaghan (Loughborough University, UK) is the ISSDP Secretary/Treasurer.
Founding President and ex-officio Board attendant: Peter Reuter (Professor of Criminology at the University of Maryland, USA).
Past scientific conferences
|2007||Pia Rosenqvist||Nordic Centre for Alcohol and Drug Research and the Norwegian Institute for Alcohol and Drug Research||Olso, Norway|
|2008||Henri Bergeron (Maria Moreira, Fatima Trigueiros, Frank Zobel)||EMCDAA and IDT||Lisbon, Portugal|
|2009||Sandeep Chawla||UNODC||Vienna, Austria|
|2010||Rosalie Pacula||RAND Corporation, DPRC||Santa Monica, USA|
|2011||Franz Trautmann||Trimbos Institute||Utrecht, The Netherlands|
|2012||Alex Stevens||University of Kent||Canterbury, England|
|2013||Daniel Meija Londono||Universidad de los Andes||Bogota, Colombia|
|2014||Carla Rossi||CNR Centre||Rome, Italy|
|2015||Tom Decorte||The Institute for Social Drug Research (ISD), University of Ghent||Ghent, Belgium|
Past board members
Michael Farrell (2006)
David Bewley-Taylor (Secretary, 2006-2007)
Pia Rosenqvist (2006 To 2011)
Henri Bergeron (2007 To 2011)
Christine Godfrey (2007 to 2008)
Sandeep Chawla (2008 To 2011)