The International Society for the Study of Drug Policy (ISSDP) is a society of scholars committed to advancing drug policy research.
El ISSDP el sitio web ahora está disponible en Español.
This year ISSDP is hosting/co-producing two conferences in Lisbon from 22-25 November.
15th Annual ISSDP Conference one-day event
Drug Market and Drug Policy Innovation in a Changing World
ISSDP will be holding a one-day, in-person meeting in Lisbon on Tuesday, November 22, 2022 prior to the 2022 Lisbon Addictions Conference featuring:
- Full day of drug policy and drug market research, including presentations by Peter Reuter (USA), Tim Rhodes (UK), Chris Wilkins (New Zealand), Marie Jauffret-Roustide (France), Bernd Werse (Germany), Alison Ritter (Australia), and more.
- Keynote speech by Sarah Larney, Associate Professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine at the Université de Montréal and Principal Scientist at the Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal. Her research focuses on the epidemiology of injecting drug use and related harms, and identifying avenues to reduce drug-related harms such as overdose, HIV and hepatitis C and bacterial infections. Sarah’s research has contributed to many policy reforms including expanding access to opioid agonist treatment in prison settings and the introduction of US Federal Bureau of Prisons guidelines on hepatitis c screening.
- Panel with policy makers on “What Policy Makers Need to Know”, featuring 1) Hanan Abramovici, Director at Health Canada, 2) João Castel-Branco Goulão, Portuguese National Drugs Coordinator, 3) Mr Alexis Goosdeel, Director of the EMCDDA , 4) Angela Me, Chief of the Research and Trend Analysis Branch, UNODC, 5) Christopher Jones, acting director of the US National Center for Injury Prevention and Control and former senior public health advisor to the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.
- A panel discussion on drug policy courses (health, criminal justice programs, drug markets, and working professionals).
- Late breaking abstracts covering topics on drug markets, psychedelic policy, harm reduction, and innovative programs and research.
- Dinner with colleagues, the first ISSDP Excellence in Drug Policy Research Award, and this year’s Franz Trautmann Memorial Speaker, Stijn Hoorens (RAND Europe).
Late Breaking Abstract Submission System is now closed.
Location & Host: European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA)
Present your work at one of the UK’s biggest addictions conferences.
The SSA is now accepting abstracts for oral presentations (deadline: 3 July 2022) and poster presentations (deadline: 14 August 2022) for its Annual Conference on 3 and 4 November 2022.
ISSDP and UNODC Virtual Side Event at the 65th Commission on Narcotics Drugs meeting on the Policy Impact of Cannabis Legalization from a Scientific Perspective. Tuesday, 15 March 2022
The virtual side event explored scientific evidence on the implications of cannabis legalization. As of April 2021, legal provisions that allow the non-medical use of cannabis have been adopted in Canada, Uruguay and in 20 jurisdictions of the United States. The purpose of the discussion was to look at the complexities of the research evidence related to cannabis markets in these countries and assess to what extent this evidence can inform about the net impact of cannabis legalization. Factual evidence was discussed on a wide range of possible impacts, from public health-related to implications for other social phenomena.
ISSDP Membership General Assembly Meeting
ISSDP held a virtual general assembly meeting of its members on Tuesday, February 1st 2022. In addition to agenda items, we held a “Meet the Author” event with Alison Ritter, author of Drug Policy.